Monday, May 28, 2012

[Gaming] Pokemon Black & White 2


Being a grown man at the age of 22, I find it somewhat unsettling how excited I am for the upcoming release of Pokemon Black and White 2 especially due to how disappointed I was in the first one.

I don't know what it was about them but I found the first Black and White versions very short and way over-hyped (though that may have been due to the release of HeartGold and SoulSilver before it). BW "ended" rather abruptly the first time around, unlike other Pokemon games which gave you a sense of completion after defeating the Elite 4 for the first time--a sort of "Congratulations, you beat the game and now you can explore."

And then there was the "only-new-pokemon" mechanic. I was extremely excited when I first heard about the mechanic, which removed all "old" Pokemon from the game prior to finish it the first time. I thought it would be a nice change of pace--a chance to relive that timeless experience you had when you picked up your first Pokemon game back in the 90's--however, as I played through the game, it felt weird not seeing the faces you've grown to know and love. 

Despite all that, I still find myself overly excited about this new release. It's reminiscent of Gold and Silver in that it's an "a few years later" sort of thing and, to me, that's a winning formula already. I still consider the original Gold and Silver the best Pokemon games to date and playing through HeartGold brought back all the old feelings and love that I had for Pokemon while growing up.

Needless to say, I hope this one takes that winning formula and does it justice as well.



Pokemon Black and White 2 at Amazon.com Pokemon Black and White 2 at Play-Asia.com


No comments:

Post a Comment